-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
Moses Clark
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: rearnheart
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:20 am 
All politics is local, but if you don't get vocal, you will not have a voice heard beyond your front yard. This is not a time for complacency; it is, in my opinion, one of the most critical times in human history. There now exists a nexus of nuclear weapons, irreversible climate catastrophes, global political instability, and a sociopath.
This is not a drill.
RE

The 4 Dangerous Signs of Passivity in the Face of Trump Tyranny
Thursday, December 15, 2016

As the era of Trump approaches, some of you are succumbing to the follow four syndromes:

1. Normalizer Syndrome. You want to believe Trump will be just another president – more conservative and pompous than most, but one who will make rational decisions once in office.

You are under a grave delusion. Trump has a serious personality disorder and will pose a clear and present danger to America and the world.

2. Outrage Numbness Syndrome. You are no longer outraged by what Trump says or what he does – his incessant lies, his dystopian cabinet picks, his bullying, his hatefulness – because you’ve gone numb. You can’t conceive that someone like this is becoming President of the United States, so you’ve shut down emotionally. Maybe you’ve even stopped reading the news.

You need to get back in touch with your emotions and reengage with what’s happening.

3. Cynical Syndrome. You’ve become so cynical about the whole system – the Democrats who gave up on the working class and thereby opened the way for Trump, the Republicans who suppressed votes around the country, the media that gave Trump all the free time he wanted, the establishment that rigged the system – that you say the hell with it. Let Trump do his worst. How much worse can it get?

You need to wake up. It can get a lot worse.

4. Helpless Syndrome. You aren’t in denial. You know that nothing about this is normal; you haven’t become numb or stopped reading the news; you haven’t succumbed to cynicism. You desperately want to do something to prevent what’s about to occur.

But you don’t know what to do. You feel utterly powerless and immobilized.

Millions of others feel equally powerless. But taking action – demonstrating, resisting, objecting, demanding, speaking truth, joining with others, making a ruckus, and never ceasing to fight Trump’s pending tyranny – will empower you. And with that power you will not only to minimize the damage that is about to occur, but also get this nation and the world back on the course it must be on.

If you find yourself falling into one or more of these syndromes, that’s understandable. Normalizing, numbing, becoming cynical, and feeling powerless are natural human responses to the peril posed by Trump.

But I urge you to pull yourself out. We need you in the peaceful resistance army, starting January 20.
Robert Reich @ robertreich.org

Author: bdlb
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:54 am 
Thanks for this, Richard.
I have an old friend who's probably stuck at Syndrome #1. She thinks that DJT will incite broader dialogue and greater democracy because he's an iconoclast. A breath of fresh air, as it were.
Would like to tell her that she's delusional, but don't think that would change her (delusional) mind.
I see all of the cabinet appointments and his pick of advisors as a distinct alarm. Not to mention his dismissal of daily intelligence briefings, his lack of awareness of the rule of law, his disregard for how much it costs to keep his wife and son secure in NYC, the business conflict of interest issues, and on and on.
I'm looking forward to participating in the local January 21 march. Hope to see you there.

Author: gila honey
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:47 pm 
Richard
You are correct to post this warning. If it can be saved (our republic) steadfast opposition and not capitulation are the peaceful warrior's path.Robert Reich's warning is not an over the top reaction. I hear my friends say "If I could put up with Obama for 8 years you can put up with Trump" , however Obama was a rational figure but Trump is completely transparent that he wants to GUT all of the progress of the last 50 years. I do not intend to "Give him a chance".

"All you need is LOVE"

Author: rearnheart
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:38 pm 
I hit the wrong button on the computer and may have lost the post I was working on...if I didn't and this is on twice...sorry about that.
Any time you find a lecture, informed opinion, protest, TV program, whatever, that gets the word out about the theft of our Democracy, post it! That's on of the main reasons this Forum exists, and we're so glad we have it (Thanks, John!).
If you want to give a Christmas donation to J. Crow for his efforts in keeping hope alive, donate!
rearnheart

PS: I may harp on this but if want to get some vital and energized info check out Keith Olberman's commentaries (link below).
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... resistance
Start at #1 of the Resistance. And hold on.