-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
Moses Clark
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: rearnheart
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:43 am 
This was published this morning on The Dailybeast[/i:
:
[i]Every American is going to receive a text alert from Donald Trump today—whether you like it or not. The “presidential alert” will be tested at various times of the day in each time zone on mobile phones, TV, and radio. It will be simply say: “THIS IS A TEST of the National Wireless Emergency Alert System. No action is needed.” The system is meant for use in a national emergency and would be issued at the direction of the president. The alerts will start going out 2:18 p.m. Eastern Time, 1:18 p.m. Central Time, 12:18 p.m. Mountain Time, and 11:18 a.m. Pacific Time. The test message will be transmitted in both English and Spanish, with participants deciding which version to use for their communities. Telecom observers say the messages cannot be muted by users.
Read it at FEMA

This, if true, is absolutely the most chilling of the most chilling so far under Trump. Time and again, the final warning to a democracy of impending dissolution has been a 'great emergency'. Now we have the vehicle of it's dispersion one month from the election.

If Trump uses this tactic to shut down elections, it will be too late to respond. Mueller won't matter, tax fraud won't matter, treason won't matter, the rule of law won't matter. Even during the Civil War we held elections, so sacred was the right to vote.

Civil War...what a deadly ring these words have today. If you have time, send a note to Vladimir Putin. Vlad is well known for stabbing people in the back when he no longer has any use for them. In Trump's case, I will give him the knives.

rearnheart

Author: almilligan
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:52 am 
Sounds like a good plot for a TV series, throw in a few walking dead.

Author: MineralMama
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:52 am 
The President is not sending out personal messages, this will be to test the National Wireless Emergency Alert System, which was started in 2012 under former President Barack Obama who then signed a law in 2016 requiring FEMA to create a system allowing the president to send cellphone alerts regarding public safety emergencies.

I don't know about everyone else but if there was a national threat, I'd want to be alerted to it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/text-alert-president-donald-trump-emergency-message-phones-when-what-a8564151.html

For more information about the EAS, please visit: https://www.ready.gov/alerts

Author: Bruce
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:56 pm 
With all the crap going down now this seems like the least of our worries. I can certainly imagine it being misused, but I can also imagine it being used appropriately. I don't see how being able to send a national message relates to elections. If Trump wanted to shut down the election, he would need more than a message system. He'd need the armed forces to violate their oaths to defend the constitution, which assigns elections to the states, not the President.

Bruce

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:01 am 
P. Trump, who is the only one designated to use the system, is quite capable of using it as a means of disseminating propaganda by creating an emergency in order to influence public opinion through fear. Misuse of the system is a spark that ignites the surrounding gas of instability and hostility. Through some malicious programs and internet advertising, Putin has managed to create chaos in U.S. governance and has done more to undermine our democracy than we ever could have imagined without a bomb or airplane or an ICBM Just with a keystroke..
Note:
Reichstag fire, burning of the Reichstag (parliament) building in Berlin, on the night of February 27, 1933, a key event in the establishment of the Nazi dictatorship and widely believed to have been contrived by the newly formed Nazi government itself to turn public opinion against its opponents and to assume emergency powers.
Reichstag fire | German history | Britannica.com
http://www.britannica.com/event/Reichstag-fire

In his east Texas wisdom, my toothless grandfather said "never corner a rabid squirrel".

rearnheart

Author: Bruce
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:37 am 
Richard,

You make some good points. The Reichstag fire is certainly a relevant example. But I still think that at this moment if Trump tried to use this system for propaganda it would be more an inspiration for ridicule than fear. If Trump unconstitutionally tried to cancel an election by Tweet (whether through this system or his Twitter account) most states would ignore an order with no legal basis.

We need to be cautious, but we are not there yet. The midterm votes will tell us more about about how many Americans are falling for Trump's stories. This election really is a Red Alert.

Bruce

Author: alan wagman
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:51 am 
55% of Republicans polled say that they would agree to postpone the 2020 election if Trump asked. -- Michael Moore, "Fahrenheit 11/9"

AW

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:15 am 
DON'T MOPE...VOTE!!

Resist!...now would be a good time.
re

Author: msauber
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:48 pm 
Rather than CANCELLING an election, what if the trumpster diver used it to influence the vote. Various unethical means have been used in the past and no cancellation or nullification of the tweaked votes have resulted.

Author: almilligan
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:14 pm 
You talk about the Reps wanting to pospone the 2020 election, the Demos still want a revote of the 2016 election