-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
John Crow
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: crow
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:18 am 
At about 3:30 pm Saturday all Qwest telephone and internet (DSL) services went down in the 3 county area of Luna, Hidalgo and Grant. Just before midnight, 8 and a half hours later all services seemed to be restored. More on this as we pursue this event.

Author: Garden-Artist
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:32 am 
delete

Last edited by Garden-Artist on Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:43 pm 
We called Qwest Tech Support today and ask about yesterdays problem. After consulting with someone higher up, the tech said that it was some kind of switching equipment failure in the "Main Office" but didn't know where that was.

Apparently 911 calls from cell phones were routed to Las Cruces Central Dispatch who were in contact with central dispatch here. Some cell service may also have been affected as I saw one Sprint cell second line continually searching for service while its primary sprint cell worked fine.

Author: mousie
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:38 am 
How odd that I have Comcast as my server and I too, went down at the same time as Qwest did. I was back online a little after midnight. I did have phone service, but the Comcast numbers (including Deming) that I tried were always busy, so I gave up and toughed it out. Not fun!

mousie

Author: Allee Barr
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:57 am 
When I called Qwest to find out what was going on they initially told me that it might take until Dec. 23 to reconnect service... I know "stuff happens", but this kind of system-wide failure, even for a short time, is unacceptable, especially when it involves a huge corporation with huge wealth and resources supporting them (our money).... if they can bombard people constantly with glossy fliers and fancy TV ads... they can at least monitor their services better and have back-up... don't you think!?

So, I will be deducting the amount for the lapse of service from my bill on both home and business lines (and I will call them to tell them that). Perhaps if a lot of people would do that in this 3-county area, we'd get their attention (!?).

Another thing about Qwest is that they occasionally try to stick bogus charges onto the phone bill, so it is worth monitoring the bookkeeping on one's bill to keep them honest.

Back to enjoying the Solstice and the loving spirit of the season.

Author: geofarm
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:17 pm 
Shortly after the 911 outage occured Central Dispatch requested the volunteer fire departments initiate rolling patrols in their respective service, as available resourses could provide, in order to be visually available to citizens that may be in need of 911 emergency services.

Some volunteer fire station were able to have personel in trucks until after midnight. And they still had to go to their paying job the next morning.

For most volunteer fire fighters it is a like a second, part-time job, with no pay. Maintaining equipment and personal readyness require non-paying hours every week from every volunteer.

We are volunteers because we believe in practicing "service to the community" in which we live, giving something back.

Please support your local volunteer fire department(s). Give us a little of your time, a wave when you see us or simply some elbow room to safely get to an incident, and we will be here for you.

George Farmer
Station Chief
Tyrone Volunteer Fire Rescue
Flying "A" Station (Redrock Rd., Burro Mountains)

Author: n2ic
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:05 pm 
This isn't quite accurate, county wide. Our VFD was never requested to take any action. There was never a "page out" for our department or any other communication to us from Central Dispatch.

Steve London
2nd Lieutenant
Communications Officer
Santa Rita Volunteer Fire Department
(serving Highway 152, milemarkers 2 through 12, Hanover, Fierro, Vanadium, Viva Santa Rita subdivision)

geofarm wrote:
Shortly after the 911 outage occured Central Dispatch requested the volunteer fire departments initiate rolling patrols in their respective service, as available resourses could provide, in order to be visually available to citizens that may be in need of 911 emergency services.

Some volunteer fire station were able to have personel in trucks until after midnight. And they still had to go to their paying job the next morning.

For most volunteer fire fighters it is a like a second, part-time job, with no pay. Maintaining equipment and personal readyness require non-paying hours every week from every volunteer.

We are volunteers because we believe in practicing "service to the community" in which we live, giving something back.

Please support your local volunteer fire department(s). Give us a little of your time, a wave when you see us or simply some elbow room to safely get to an incident, and we will be here for you.

George Farmer
Station Chief
Tyrone Volunteer Fire Rescue
Flying "A" Station (Redrock Rd., Burro Mountains)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:41 pm 
Thanks for the feedback on my article. Curious if there is a glitch in the system in that one VFD was contacted and one wasn't I called the Whiskey Creek VFD and talked to Gale Sera, Sec/Treasurer and Justin Toney, Fire Chief.

Turns out they were notified only because somebody at Central Dispatch (CD) is a friend and had Toney's personal cell number. Seems CD only had the official land line number, the one in the phone book under Whiskey Creek VFD. Toney suggested that all VFD's file both land line and a cell number with CD. He said also that he was not contacted by radio. Toney also thought that he heard about possible problems over the emergency radio as early as 2 pm and was called by CD between 3:30 and 4:00 pm, at full blown outage.

They said they had 2 trucks and four crewmen out patrolling until 2 am when the 911 system seemed to become stable. Toney added that patrols in these situations by fire departments are voluntary and that Bayard went on patrol but Santa Clara didn't.

Waiting for Pinos Altos to check in....?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:51 pm 
Note to mousie: The nature of this outage was that we still had a dial tone and in the early part of the outage a dialed number returned a busy signal. Later on instead of a busy signal a dialed number returned a recorded voice stating that "all circuits were busy" but in reality both were misleading in that those numbers were not busy and rather than full circuits there were no circuits at all. If your comcast cable service went down either they use qwest fiber optics to bring their signal or something larger happened.

Also we haven't heard from the Mimbres and the Cliff Dwellings as they have Western Telco/Interactive/Gilanet for phones and internet but also may use Qwest Fiber Optics for their service. Qwest, by court decision has a monopoly in this area.

We need a PRC watcher to see if they are awake about 911 access issues. Seems that the 911 system was down for at least 10 and a half hours and maybe longer in certain areas.

Author: Garden-Artist
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:29 am 
delete

Last edited by Garden-Artist on Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Author: mousie
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:45 am 
Many thanks, Crow, for your information. If I had known of any other Comcast customers, I would have attempted to contact them to see if they had internet service. I went down at the same time Qwest did, and my service was restored about 9 hours later.

Qwest, I'm sure, knows what happened. Whether they intend to be square with their customers is anyone's guess. Just because Qwest is an overpaid monopoly doesn't mean they can afford to treat their customers to another incident like this.

mousie

Author: Marsh
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:24 pm 
Sometimes and outage is just an outage. I heard in this instance a contractor in Las Cruses cut through a large multiple fiber optic line while drilling a hole. Re-hooking up a major line is a daunting process. Not that I think Quest is so great, but a friend of mine worked in engineering for them, and she was constantly talking about similiar outages, as she had to facilitate the repairs. Not everything is a conspiricy folks! Sometimes it's just hard working people in the trenches on week-end hours making a major repair!
Peace and love!

Author: n2ic
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:43 pm 
Why didn't Central Dispatch use the radio page-out system they use in every other situation ? There were no technical issues with their radio system during the outage.

I'll chalk this one up to inexperience and confusion by the dispatchers during a stressful situation. No conspiracy theories !

Steve London
Santa Rita VFD

crow wrote:
Thanks for the feedback on my article. Curious if there is a glitch in the system in that one VFD was contacted and one wasn't I called the Whiskey Creek VFD and talked to Gale Sera, Sec/Treasurer and Justin Toney, Fire Chief.

Turns out they were notified only because somebody at Central Dispatch (CD) is a friend and had Toney's personal cell number. Seems CD only had the official land line number, the one in the phone book under Whiskey Creek VFD. Toney suggested that all VFD's file both land line and a cell number with CD. He said also that he was not contacted by radio. Toney also thought that he heard about possible problems over the emergency radio as early as 2 pm and was called by CD between 3:30 and 4:00 pm, at full blown outage.

They said they had 2 trucks and four crewmen out patrolling until 2 am when the 911 system seemed to become stable. Toney added that patrols in these situations by fire departments are voluntary and that Bayard went on patrol but Santa Clara didn't.

Waiting for Pinos Altos to check in....?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:55 pm 
So you chalk this up to: 1- inexperience, Saturday afternoon and nobody with experience is at the county's Central Dispatch office?
And 2- Confusion, they are easily confused with a simple telephone outage? Confused to the point that the radio wasn't thought of?
So good point, why weren't radios used especially in light of the comment by Whiskey Creek Fire Chief Justin Toney that he had heard of 911 problems as early as 2pm over the radio? So seems everybody had ample warning for a "just in case scenario". I'd hate to see what would happen with something more serious.
Phones having problems again now at 12:50 pm Wed.